Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Hickory Dickory Clock

I have a strange love of lamps and clocks. I am draawwn to the whimsy, and magic in them.   I have made pottery tree lamps you can see here. Transforming the bearers of time and light are just too much of a temptation. 

When I found a full sized grandfather clock for 22 dollars and decided I couldn't and shouldn't resist! Before you cry sacrilege at painting a wood antique... This grandfather had major water damage and mold on his base, poor old soul! 




I took inspiration from old Hickory Dickory Dock illustations. That is what happens, I began doing a regular storytime this cute daycare (after taking a seven year break from being storytime lady at the library) and a hickory dickory clock pops up in my path begging to be transformed.
mouse clock clip art nursery rhyme
I started with a moldy version of this clock. It looks like wood but is actually wood veneer.
Ted replaced the base with an old cabinet door. Then I spray painted it all antique red. Next I spent a week in the garage with my cutest baby friend painting the detail, incuding completely repainting the clock face. Grandfathers face was gold and silver so he got a face lift!
I papered the middle curio cabinet (it had no pendulum) with some flocked (the red flowers have  a velvet texture)wallpaper I've been hording saving for just such a project.

It even lights up! Clock and lamp in one!



Mr clock in his permanent home in my living room. I was afraid he was too colorful, but I think he adds just the right amount of whimsy.




Everyone needs colorful relatives, right? 

Were all colorful in my family. Thanks for visiting!

2 comments: